About Aviation Academy
Denbigh High School's Aviation Academy is a nationally recognized STEM site with a focus on piloting, aircraft maintenance, engineering, and aviation security/safety. Our mission is to provide a quality education that will maximize the potential of every student by providing them with the knowledge, skillsets, experiences and values needed in the 21st Century workplace.
- Aviation magnet courses offered on an "airport campus" at Newport News/Williamsburg Airport. All other courses are conducted at Denbigh High School.
- A small community of learning with a safe, collegiate atmosphere where expectations are high and young adults excel.
- Aviation classes that begin in the 9th grade with four pathways: Aviation Technology, Flight Operations, Aerospace Engineering and Aviation Security & Safety.
- An FAA Pilot Ground School course that will prepare students for flying lessons and private pilot licensure.
- Four flight simulators used in the pilot classes.
- A fully functioning wind tunnel capable of showing students the dynamics of flight with visual and data representation.
- Students in the Technology pathway have the opportunity to help build an RV-12 plane.
- Recognized as a national model school from the Society of Manufactured Engineers Education Foundation.
- Students have access to a classroom set of drones, a virtual reality lab an d a 3D printing/scanning lab.
Download the Aviation Academy Brochure to learn more about our program and how to apply.
Our Core Beliefs
BE ATTENTIVE TO DETAIL: The difference between an employee that is highly sought after and recommended is those that are attentive to details.
BE SAFE: Every location wants their employees safe when they work. Being safety minded keeps the work productivity high.
BE PREPARED AND ORGANIZED: In order to do a job right means that great preparation and organization must be done to minimize the work and mistakes.
BE COMMITTED: Whether it is a team or individual approach, it is critical to be focused on your work. Anything less is unacceptable.
BE CLEAN: All work locations are required to be clean at all times. This ensures the longevity of the tools as well as maintaining a standard of excellence.
How Core Beliefs are Established
- Public speaking
- Day-to-day work
- Phone calls
- Courtesy and respect
- Giving back
- Cover letter
- Reports and outlines
- Critical thinking
- Creation of an ePortfolio
- Real world scenarios
Preparing for the next level:
- College applications
- Grants and scholarships
- Preparing and maintaining a budget
Education & Experiences
- Dual enrollment
- Course pathways
- Experience with tools, vocabulary
- Internships, mentorship and site tours
- Safety and cleanliness
Research and development:
- Teaming with partners to develop new products and models
- Trying to fail
- Exploration of ideas